Application for a 10-week winter 2024 in-person residency is closed.
Who Should Apply?
All Canadian writers of established literary reputation in fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction or drama are encouraged to apply.
The following criteria are required:
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- Established literary reputation with critically well-received work.
- Professional teaching or public speaking experience.
- Willing to engage with the public one-on-one and in group settings.
- Active participant in the writing community.
- In the midst of a new writing project intended for book-length publication.
The following criteria are considered assets:
- Experience in writing in more than one genre.
- Experience in working with youth.
- Experience in working with the public and with beginning writers.
Your application for the Edna Staebler Laurier Writer-in-Residence position must include the following:
- A cover letter, including the following:
- A clear statement of your availability during the proposed dates (Jan. 22 to March 22, 2024);
- A statement of what you hope to achieve during the residency;
- Several methods of contacting you immediately should your application be successful.
- A literary CV, including the following:
- Complete details for all published books and produced plays, screenplays or performance art;
- All received writing awards, prizes and other honours;
- Related volunteer and work experience teaching, mentoring, editing, assessing manuscripts, leading workshops, etc.; and
- Two letters of reference from members of the writing community that discuss your abilities as a writer and as a mentor to other writers. Note: Letters of reference must be sent by the referee directly to staeblerWIR@wlu.ca.
- A 20- to 30-page sample from recent published or unpublished work (double spaced, 12-point font).
- Reviews of your published or produced work in nationally recognized publications.
- A short (1 page) description of the writing project on which you will be working on during the residency.
Applications must be received by 5 p.m. on June 30, 2023. A decision will be made promptly, so please make sure that your cover letter indicates the best method(s) of contacting you. The successful applicant will be asked to commit to residency dates in writing by September 2023. Laurier reserves the right not to award the residency should no suitable candidate be found by the deadline.
With the important exception of letters of recommendation, which are to be sent separately by the referees, all documents that make up the application package must be sent in a single PDF document. For referees’ letters and applications, please use the subject line “Writer-in-Residence Search.”
The salary for this position is approximately $20,000 for 10 weeks. The expected time commitment per week during the residency is 15-20 hours/week.
Please apply electronically by sending materials to staeblerWIR@wlu.ca.